A Brief History Of Peoples Bank
The Peoples Bank was organized and opened for business on December 5, 1905. The opening was delayed several weeks awaiting the arrival of the safe, making the bank unable to receive deposits, a primary function of the era.
The first officers and promoters of the bank were J. R. Dominick, F. L. Black, L. J. Soloman, M.M. Soloman, and Elmer Soloman. Management changed in 1911 when A. C. Lambe took over the reins from J. M. Cotton. In April of 1919, Fred Jacks purchased the bank and was managing officer until he sold his interest to Garth McMillen. Garth McMillen served as president until his death in 1942. His son, Hobart McMillen, continued as president and managing officer until his sudden death in 1963.
Mae McMillen was named bank president from 1963 to 1969 when Hobart’s son, Garth McMillen, assumed the presidency. Garth maintained ownership until April of 1981 when the bank was purchased by Gold Bank of Leawood, Kansas. The latter maintained ownership until June of 1994 when Stockgrowers Banc Corp. of Ashland, Kansas purchased Peoples Bank. Don Avey held the office of president from April of 1981 through December of 1998. Carl Gasper was president from January of 1999 through May of 2000. Max Meuli was appointed president from May of 2000 through January of 2001. The bank’s current president, Wynn Alexander assumed the office of president in January of 2001.
Peoples Bank has remained in its original location throughout the 100 years of its existence. In 1982, an extensive remodeling project was completed to become the beautiful building it is today.
Peoples Bank has always maintained an outstanding record of service to our customers, through good and challenging times.
During the Great Depression, the bank persevered as the community suffered through droughts, highs and lows in oil and gas production as well as in cattle, and fluctuating land prices. Peoples Bank has continued to grow in assets while meeting the challenges of the ever-changing financial world.